Vietnamese Lemongrass ‘Beef’ Vermicelli Salad
Bún bò xào – a classic Vietnamese zesty stir fry paired with fresh and vibrant ingredients.
Preparation Time: 45 mins
Cook time: 15 mins
Dressed with a tangy nước chấm and topped with peanuts and shallots – it’s a satisfying salad for all seasons. Once assembled, make sure you mix everything up real good to get all the flavours. These are moments your mouth will remember.
- 200g Vermicelli rice noodles
- 1 Lettuce, butter lettuce works well, cut into shreds
- A handful each of finely chopped mint and coriander (or other Asian herbs, such as Vietnamese mint, shiso, perilla or Vietnamese balm)
- 1 cucumber, julienned
- 2 cups bean sprouts
- Chopped roasted peanuts, for garnish
- Fried shallots, for garnish
- Sliced fresh chilli, for garnish
Pickled Carrot and Daikon
- 1 large carrot, julienned
- 1/2 cup daikon, julienned
- 100ml white vinegar
- 100ml warm water3 tsp of sugar
Combine all ingredients and set aside (at least 30 minutes, the longer the better)
½ cup warm water
2 tbsp sugar
¼ cup fish sauce, replace with soy sauce if vegan
¼ cup white or rice vinegar
2 tbsp lime juice
1 minced chilli, according to desired spice level
Combine sugar and warm water until dissolved and add remaining ingredients. Adjust seasoning to taste.
3.5 tbsp King Brand Vegetarian Mushroom Oyster Sauce (This is available in the Asian section at Woolworths, but if you can’t find substitute this with 4 tbsp of coconut aminos, found in the health section of the supermarket)
1 tbsp tamari/soy sauce
1 tbsp sesame oil
1 tbsp lemon juice/ juice of ½ a lemon (skip the lemon juice if using coconut aminos)
1 tsp maple syrup/ sugar
30g/3 tbsp (aprox 1 stalk, white part) fresh lemongrass (substitute with lemongrass powder if you can’t find fresh stalks)
1 brown onion, cut in half, thinly sliced lengthwise
3 cloves garlic minced
Make the pickled carrot and daikon by combining ingredients and setting aside
- In a food processor, whiz the lemongrass into fine shreds. You may need to stop occasionally to scrape the sides back in. Process until as fine as possible. It helps to bash the stalk first with a pestle or rolling pin and then roughly chop the stalk up first.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all the wet ingredients for the lemongrass marinade and stir until well combined. Add onion, minced garlic and lemongrass
- Shred Fable with your fingers into smaller bits and add them into the wet mixture. Combine and ensure Fable is evenly coated. Set aside for approx. 30 minutes.
- Cook vermicelli noodles according to packet instructions, rinse with cold water and strain.
- Heat oil in a large pan until hot and add Fable mixture, and fry for about 10 minutes until onion and Fable are caramelised and nicely browned.
- Combine shredded lettuce and chopped Asian herbs and divide equally among four bowls. Then layer with noodles, pickled carrot and daikon, cucumber sticks, fried lemongrass Fable and bean sprouts.
- Top with peanuts, fried shallots, chilli slices and extra Asian herbs. Drizzle generously with nuoc cham to serve.
Be part of the Fable tribe!
Be the first one to know when we launch new products or host fancy pants parties. Sign up to be a part of our magical world.
Can't wait to share your feedback, or fun flavoured ideas?
Email — firstname.lastname@example.org
The Fable - About us
Terms & Conditions
© Copyright 2021 Fable Food Pty Ltd