Smokey Baked Eggplant Fable x Mingle
Smoked eggplant, baked in a rich, tomato sauce with chunks of Fable and made aromatic with Mingle’s All Purpose Spice Mix. Then served with generous lashings of tahini. *Swoon*.
Preparation Time: 25 mins
Cook time: 60 mins
Not much can beat some gooey, smoked eggplant. Cooked right, and cooked through, it is heavenly. But it must be cooked thoroughly, otherwise the slightest hint of rubberiness will land you squarely into the drab realms of failed eggplant. But that won’t happen if you follow this recipe.
We have partnered with our friends at Mingle seasoning. They make delicious seasoning without the nasties. Preservative Free, All Natural Ingredients, No Cheap Fillers & Vegan Friendly – just like we like it. You can get both Mingle and Fable at Coles now.
125g Fable, chopped into mince like pieces
2 or 3 medium sized eggplants, halved lengthwise with stems on
4 medium size steak tomatoes, diced
1 brown onion, diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
¾ cup chopped flat leaf parsley, finely chopped including stems
1 tbsp Mingle All Purpose Seasoning Blend
½ tsp cayenne pepper (feel free to omit or adjust according to desired spice preference)
Preserved lemon (quarter of a lemon), finely chopped
1 tsp honey or maple syrup
1 ½ tsp salt
1 tbsp tomato paste
¼ cup olive oil
Tahini Soy Dressing
¼ cup tahini
¼ cup hot water
1 tbsp olive oil
Juice of half lemon (approx 1 tbsp)
Salt to taste
½ tsp minced garlic, optional
- Pre-heat oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
- Halve eggplants lengthwise, keeping stems on. Score the eggplants in a criss-cross pattern, cutting to a depth of more than just half way. Place the eggplant halves directly onto the naked flame on your gas stove for a few minutes each side to char. Set eggplants aside.
- Heat olive oil in a medium size saucepan big enough to fit the eggplant pieces. Add onion and garlic, sauté for a few minutes until fragrant.
- Add fresh tomatoes, tomato paste and Mingle All Purpose Seasoning Blend, cayenne pepper and sauté until tomatoes begin disintegrate and a thicker sauce starts to form.
- Add diced preserved lemon, water, parsley and salt and bring to boil. Add eggplant pieces ensuring the pieces submerged in the liquid. Boil with the lid on for 10 minutes. You may need to turn your eggplant pieces in the liquid occasionally to ensure they are evenly cooked.
- Remove eggplants from liquid and place in a baking tray. Turn heat down to medium and allow tomato sauce to continue simmering until reduced to half volume, about 15 minutes. Coat the eggplant in some olive oil and bake for 15-20 minutes. Eggplants should be soft and cooked through. Continue baking if still firm.
- Meanwhile, fry off minced Fable pieces in some olive oil, until pieces have browned and caramelised.
- When tomato liquid is reduced, add fried Fable pieces and cook for a few more minutes. Adjust seasoning as required.
- Remove the tray of eggplants from the oven and top generously with Fable tomato mixture. Return the tray to the oven and finish off under the grill for 5-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare tahini sauce by whisking all ingredients together. Add more water and season with salt to taste and desired consistency.
- When eggplant is finished, serve directly from the tray or on plates with generous lashings of tahini sauce.
Be part of the Fable tribe!
Be the first one to know when we launch new products or host fancy pants parties. Sign up to be a part of our magical world.
Can't wait to share your feedback, or fun flavoured ideas?
Email — email@example.com
The Fable - About us
Terms & Conditions
© Copyright 2021 Fable Food Pty Ltd