Fable Steamed Pudding by Heston Blumenthal
Getting back to his British roots, Heston Blumenthal gives the steamed pudding a plant-based Fable makeover
Cook time: 50 minutes
Serves: 4 people
- 25g unsalted plant-based butter
- 1 onion, peeled and finely sliced
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and minced
- 260g flat mushrooms, finely chopped
- 300g Fable
- 200g double vegan cream
- 200g baby spinach
- Juice and zest of half a lemon
- Small handful of fresh tarragon leaves
- Small handful of fresh parsley leaves
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 250g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 7g baking powder
- 2g salt
- 125g vegetarian or vegan suet (fat)
- 15g unsalted plant-based butter, softened, for greasing
- For the filling, melt the butter in a large pan and fry the onions and garlic over moderate heat until softened. Add the chopped mushrooms and continue to cook until golden and starting to caramelise. Pour in the double cream and bring to a simmer. Add the spinach, cooking until wilted. Stir through the Fable and remove the pan from the heat, setting aside to cool completely. Once cooled, finely chop the herbs, and stir them through the mixture, along with the lemon zest and juice. Season the mixture with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- For the pastry, combine the flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl. Add the vegetarian suet and 150g ice cold water, combining the mixture until it comes together as a dough.
- Line a pudding bowl (16cm diameter) with the softened butter followed by dusted flour.
- Take a third of the dough and set aside for now. Use a floured rolling pin to roll the remaining two-thirds to a diameter large enough to line the inside of the pudding bowl, with a little excess to overlap. Place inside the pudding bowl allowing any excess to hang over. Fill the pastry-lined pudding bowl with the cooled Fable filling.
- Roll the remaining smaller portion of dough to a diameter of approx. 18cm. Cover the filling with this piece, enclosing the pudding completely by pinching the edges to seal the pastry. Cover the bowl with parchment paper and an elastic band. Place inside a large, deep pan filled 1/3 with hot water. Bring the water to the boil and cover the pan tightly with a lid. Steam for 45-50 minutes.
- Once done, carefully remove the pudding bowl from the pan before removing the pudding itself from the bowl. Leave to rest for 10-15 minutes before slicing and serving.
Be part of the Fable tribe!
Be the first one to know when we launch new products or host fancy pants parties. Sign up to be a part of our magical world.
Can't wait to share your feedback, or fun flavoured ideas?
Email — firstname.lastname@example.org
The Fable - About us
Terms & Conditions
© Copyright 2021 Fable Food Pty Ltd