Fable Lemongrass Rice Paper Rolls
Indulge in these fresh gỏi cuốn – one of the most iconic Vietnamese dishes
The best way to eat rice paper rolls is to have all the elements set up on your table for everyone to assemble and eat their own rolls as they go along.
Prep time: 45 minutes
Cook time: 10 mins
Serves: 4-5 People
If you find the rolling part too cumbersome, just throw everything into a bowl and enjoy as a Lemongrass Fable Vermicelli Noodle salad instead. Same layering principles apply!
- 1 packet of rice paper
- 100-150g Vermicelli rice noodles
- 1 Lettuce, butter lettuce works well
- A generous bowl Asian herbs – Vietnamese mint, Vietnamese balm, shiso or perilla leaves, mint
- 1 large cucumber, julienned
- ½ cup warm water
- 2 tbsp sugar
- ¼ cup fish sauce, replace with soy sauce if vegan
- ¼ cup white or rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1 minced chilli, according to desired spice level
Combine sugar and warm water until dissolved and add remaining ingredients. Adjust seasoning to taste.
- 250g Fable
- 3.5 tbsp King Brand Vegetarian Mushroom Oyster Sauce (This is available in the Asian section at Woolworths, but if you can’t find substitute this with 4 tbsp of coconut aminos, found in the health section of the supermarket)
- 1 tbsp tamari/soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice/ juice of ½ a lemon (skip the lemon juice if using coconut aminos)
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 30g/ 3 tbsp (aprox 1 stalk, white part) fresh lemongrass (substitute with lemongrass powder if you can’t find fresh stalks)
- 1 pc brown onion, cut in half, thinly sliced lengthwise
- 3 pc cloves garlic minced
- 1 large carrot, julienned
- 75ml white vinegar
- 75ml warm water
- 1 tsp of sugar
Combine all ingredients and set aside (at least 30 minutes, the longer the better)
- Make the pickled carrot by combining ingredients and setting aside
- In a food processor, whiz the lemongrass into fine shreds. You may need to stop occasionally to scrape the sides back in. Process until as fine as possible. It helps to bash the stalk first with a pestle or rolling pin and then roughly chopping the stalk up first.
- In large mixing bowl, combine all the wet ingredients and stir until well combined. Add onion, minced garlic and lemongrass
- Shred Fable with your fingers into smaller bits and add them into the wet mixture. Combine and ensure Fable is evenly coated. Set aside for approx. 30 minutes.
- Cook vermicelli noodles according to packet instructions, rinse with cold water and strain.
- Whilst the Fable is marinading, wash and dry your lettuce and Asian herbs. Place in separate plates and set on the table along with, a packet of rice paper sheets, vermicelli noodles, pickled carrots and a large bowl of water to wet your rice paper.
- Heat oil in a large pan until hot and add Fable mixture, and fry for about 10 minutes until and the onion and Fable is caramelised the nicely browned. Transfer to a serving dish and set along side the other ingredients.
- Wet the rice paper sheet by very briefly submerging it into a bowl of water. Shake off excess water and lay it on a flat plate.
- Now layer your filling horizontally right beneath the midline of the rice paper sheet. Start by making a bed with your Asian herbs and a bit of lettuce. Top with a small amount of vermicelli noodles, one cucumber stick, pickled carrots and then the Fable mix. Be careful not to overfill your roll – so best to err on the side of less until you find your sweet spot.
- Now fold the sides of the rice paper sheet to cover the side edges of your filling.
- Fold the bottom edge of the paper rice (the side that’s closest to you) over the filling. Whilst keeping the sides folded in with your fingers, start rolling away from you with medium to firm pressure, tucking the filling in underneath as you roll.
- Dip your roll in nuoc cham and munch away!
Be part of the Fable tribe!
Be the first one to know when we launch new products or host fancy pants parties. Sign up to be a part of our magical world.
Can't wait to share your feedback, or fun flavoured ideas?
Email — firstname.lastname@example.org
The Fable - About us
Terms & Conditions
© Copyright 2021 Fable Food Pty Ltd